Hey guys! I just wanted to make a note about brace “slipping” questions. It came to my attention that some people were concerned about if our brace slips down. Here are some things to consider if this happens. Also, on small note, when sending us pics, always include a bent knee picture. Sometimes what looks to be slipping on a straight leg picture, is actually a perfect knee center on a bent knee. Something to keep in mind, bent knee is key! #slippingquestion
1. When I did the fitting call with Lady and her brace, we initially have the top edge of the middle shell right at the tibial tuberosity bump. It is completely normal for the brace to “adjust” down about 1 finger below this point. This is because the joint center of the brace is finding the correct pivot point of the knee. This is normal, and why we have you re-tighten the middle shell after 5-10 minutes into your walk.
2. If the lower shell and pad stay above the hock (which is where they should be) then the brace is not truly slipping down. We have designed our brace to stay on the ankle, and if it does slip down past the bend of the ankle, please let us know about it. There are a few reasons this may happen, number one being that the tensions were not correct. number 2 is that the tibial shell may bee too short, number 3 being that the upper shell is too high in the groin (meaning that the belly or short femur may be causing the brace to slip down), number 4 is your dog sat/layed down on the brace, and possibly released the buckle levers, causing brace to loosen up. All these scenerios we can help you with if having an issue, so that they do not happen again.
3. Please email us in service if you have any fit questions, as only one of our technicians will be able to help if you need an adjustment made. Do not do any adjustments on your own, like moving shells, or there will be a charge to fix it (unless we have directed you to do so), and you may void your warranty. You are welcome to shorten straps, though, without us:)
4. Trust us, we have fit over 6500+ patients in braces, we know what we are talking about, and we want what is best for your pup.
5. As always, if you have any concerns regarding the brace fit, you have our service phone number and email, and we will always get back to you within 24 hours. If you have any questions before ordering a brace, send me a contact form, and I can answer any questions for you! Thanks!!
Today I want to talk about hair length, and if it is necessary to shave your dog for our our brace. For the measurement call, we need to be able to see all the bumps in the knee. The hair needs to be less than 1” in length.
If you have a curly haired dog, you can try wetting down the hair in order to find the bumps. You will also need to make sure you can see those bumps and landmarks clearly for when you are fitting the brace.
If your dog has shorter hair on front of the leg, and feathering behind the thigh, you are probably ok. For dogs that have very long hair, like newfies or Great Pyraneese, they will need legs trimmed down to the ankle, otherwise we can’t see landmarks to help you measure. Let us know if you have any other questions!
Nikki, Posh Lead Veterinary Technician
Custom-made braces can help your dog after knee surgery – and can sometimes be used in place of surgery.
Ten years have passed since WDJ explored “conservative management” – the nonsurgical treatment – of knee ligament injuries (see “Saying ‘No’ to Surgery,” February 2010). Since then, although surgery remains by far the most widely used knee injury treatment, consumer demand for complementary therapies, including the use of custom-designed knee braces, has grown.
Read full article visit: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/health/canine-knee-injury-brace-yourself/
In February, we got a lot of snow and cold weather. Which is a perfect scenario to see how well the brace performs under such conditions. The Posh Dog Knee Brace is not a cast. So there are many open spaces. And that made me wonder how well the brace would perform in a Canadian winter with deep snow and cold temperatures. To read more: Please visit: https://www.myboxergirl.com/health/posh-dog-knee-brace-winter-performance-review/
Today let’s talk about how to get your dog to use or walk with the brace. First, I want you to use just the hock wrap, to let your pup get used to having something on his ankle. Do this for 30 minutes on and off the first couple of days.
Next, I like to freeze peanut butter in a dish, and distract my dog while fitting the brace on.
**Important** Once you have a brace on, go directly outside and walk. Then, remove the brace when you come in. Distraction and treats work great while getting your dog used to wearing the brace.
Soon, your dog will link the brace to getting to go out for a W-A-L-K, something really fun.
Then, you can increase the wearing times as stated on our physical therapy handouts. Let me know if you have any questions!
Nikki, Posh Lead Veterinary Technician
is a must read article about the prevention, causes and REAL treatments for
Cancer. We want you to be able to cherish 16 ++ years with your beloved Dog,
not 7 or 9 years.
Although our core focus at www.PoshDogKneeBrace.com is helping Dogs with a brace for Dogs for a torn ACL in Dogs, most Dog cancers can be prevented if Dog parents knew the truth about cancer. So many Dogs are being fed foods that cause cancer and taking carcinogenic chemicals like flea and tick programs and “vaccines,” that we want to share some of what we have learned, above and beyond a Dog brace or a knee brace for Dog.
Here’s a story about one of our customers, a beautiful 9
year old rescue named Rummy, who had his Posh Brace stolen from him. Well, when
we say we are obsessed with helping Dogs, we mean it. So a thief would not get
away with inhibiting Rummys’ recovering, we sent out a free $895 custom Posh
Brace replacement in 3 days, after the thief got away with Rummys’ 1st custom
Posh Dog Knee Brace.
If you like what we do to help Dogs every day, please SHARE this story with everyone and LIKE our FACEBOOK page, and tell all your pals with Dogs, that our custom Posh Brace helps Dogs avoid an expensive and risky knee ligament CCL/ACL surgery! Sure we lost money on this, BUT we are helping Rummy recover like our baby Pasha did 3 years ago. So we figure – we won.
Please help us to spread the word: most vets won’t do anything but make lots of $$$$ from surgery and do not mention Dog knee braces for Dog knee injuries, and our stifle brace works!
You may need a support sling with helping a Dog with a dog knee injury up and down stairs etc. We make a great Dog knee brace, but not slings. We did find this great idea for making a sling for your Dog – for about $3.00 and in 5 minutes:
Click Here to Read More